22 April, 2012

Caramelized Onion Dip

After making dye from red onion skins, I had about 12 onions that needed to be used soon-ish.  I sliced them all fairly thin (with my handy mandoline slicer) and made a giant batch of caramelized onions.  I've been using them in all kinds of things - on toast, in omelets, in soup, and so on.  Since I have all these pre-cooked onions on hand I was looking for another way to use them up, and decided to modify my artichoke dip recipe for caramelized onions.

Recipe:

For the caramelized onions
1-2 tablespoons butter
2-3 onions, thinly sliced
1/4 cup white wine
Salt and pepper

For the dip
8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
Herbs & spices (I used sage and smoked paprika)
Chives or green onions

Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.  Add the onions and season with salt and pepper.  Cook for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are golden brown.  Add wine and cook, stirring frequently for another 5 minutes.  Remove from heat.

In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese on medium speed for 1 minute.  Add sour cream, mayonnaise, and seasoning, and mix thoroughly.  Stir in the caramelized onions and all of the juices into the cream cheese mixture.  Add more salt and pepper, if needed.

Place the dip in a serving bowl, garnish with chopped chives or green onions, and refrigerate.  Serve with pita chips, potato chips, veggies, etc.


No comments:

Post a Comment