01 April, 2012

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Dip

I actually made this dip awhile ago, and I've been struggling with what to say about it, because I really have mixed feelings - more on that later.

Recipe:
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
1/4 cup brown sugar
8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
3/4 cup confectioners sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.  Add the brown sugar and stir until it dissolves.  Continue stirring over heat until the mixture just starts to boil.  Stir in vanilla and remove from heat.

Beat the cream cheese, add the powdered sugar and mix until combined.  Turn mixer to low speed and stir in the butter and brown sugar mixture.  Add salt and mix until well combined.  Stir in the chocolate chips.

Before serving, garnish with additional chocolate chips.  Serve with Nilla wafers, animal crackers, or graham crackers.

Now, as I said, I have mixed feelings about this.  On the one hand, it went together very quickly, tastes good, and was quite popular.  On the other hand, I've been off sugar for awhile, and to me it was just overwhelmingly, tooth-achingly sugary after about two bites.  And this was after I cut the sugar down from the original recipe.  I also felt guilty about making something so obviously unhealthy since I've gotten into better eating habits.

So I guess if you're used to mass quantities of sugar, go for it.  If you're not, make it for your friends and have one or two bites.

No comments:

Post a Comment